Thunder Pep Band
SOUND OF THUNDER PEP BAND
Prerequisite: Teacher Recommendation
The Sound of Thunder Pep Band combines all wind, percussion, guitar and keyboard players in the department. The group meets during Thunder Block (Aug -Oct) to prepare music and shows for fall sporting events and community activities.
INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC HANDBOOK
2017-2018 Sound of Thunder Handbook
Updated 21 April 2020- Please read important new updates!
General Guidelines (All Submissions)
Participants are invited to create and submit one submission per category (if they choose) to the festival. This means that each student could submit one short film, one piece of music, and one podcast, but not multiple submissions to one category.
The deadline for submissions has been extended. All submissions are now due by 4 May. Once the submissions are reviewed to make sure they fit the guidelines listed below, they will be showcased in a live-streamed event over the Thunder Broadcasting Network on 13 May, and displayed permanently on the SJA website following the event at arts.sjakeepingfaith.org/mfm. A panel of faculty judges will award “Judge’s Choice” recognitions in each category and public votes will be taken to award “Viewers Choice” recognitions in each category.
The following guidelines apply to all entries:
- Fit the Theme
- “Made for More” can mean a lot of things to different people. You are encouraged to do your best with trying to create a short film, piece of music, or podcast that illustrates this theme in a special way to you personally.
- All submissions must be SJA appropriate. Inappropriate content includes (but is not limited to), in an explicit or implied manner, the following:
- Suicide, drugs or alcohol, sex or related to personal bodily functions, guns or other violent weapons, infidelity or cheating in relationships, swear words or words that are closely related to swear words (example: “screw you”, “get lit”, etc)
- Submissions that would like to attempt to handle these in a tactful way that do not glorify them should reach out to Mr. Hernandez for clarification and guidance before they start creation on the works.
- Festival coordinators and school administration reserve the right to disqualify submissions if they are not deemed appropriate.
- All submissions need to be between 1 and 10 minutes in length.
- To be eligible to be judged and win awards, all submissions must be entirely original. Stories, music, lyrics - no submission can contain copyrighted material in part or in whole (for festival and legal reasons) to be eligible to be judged.
- Any submission found to use material that uses copyrighted content in part or in whole will not be considered for voting and awards and may or may not be played on the live broadcast or posted on the website depending on the egregiousness of the copyright violation. These decisions will be made at the discretion of the festival coordinating team.
- Any questions regarding this policy should be directed toward Mr. Hernandez (email@example.com), but know that all decisions in the interest of adhereing to copyright laws over live broadcast.
- COVID-19 Prevention/Social Distancing
- Collaboration with other students is allowed but the current ordinances of social distancing must be adhered to. Festival coordinators and school administration reserve the right to disqualify submissions if they break social distancing standards. This includes but is not limited to:
- Not standing six feet apart
- Not wearing face masks if closer than six feet
- Travelling for unessential purposes
- Meeting in an area or space that has been closed to the public
- Gathering in groups larger than 10 or gathering unsafely with any group.
- Collaboration with household members with whom one has been quarantined with is allowed.
Film Submission Guidelines
- Any genre of short film is allowed as long as it meets the general guidelines. Genres can be (but are not limited to):
- Narrative short film that tells a story
- Documentary with newly or previously filmed footage
- Animation in any form (stop motion, 2D, 3D, etc.)
Song Submission Guidelines
- Any genre of music is allowed as long as it meets the general guidelines. Genres can be (but are not limited to):
- Instrumental songs without lyrics
- Songs with original lyrics
- All submissions should be in the highest sound quality that can be submitted. Submissions can be:
- Audio files without video
- Audio files with accompanying video, such as a live video of you playing the song or an edited music video
Podcast Submission Guidelines
- Any genre of podcast is allowed as long as it meets the general guidelines. Genres can be one of or a combination of the following (but are not limited to the ones listed below):
- History or musings about a subject
- Narrative storytelling